Ping Fan (Zetta) is an Assistant Professor in the School of Information Systems (SIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU). He received his Ph.D. degree in Information Systems from the Department of ISOM, School of Business and Management, HKUST in 2018.
His research focuses on the area of cybersecurity, in both managerial and technical aspects. On the managerial side, his research examines the economic incentive and mechanism design in various contexts in cybersecurity, including cybersecurity policy, managed security service, bug bounty program, DevSecOps and Blockchain. On the technical side, he conducts vulnerability researches in Web and Desktop applications.
His recent research regarding the contract design in managed security service has been published in Information Systems Research (ISR). His research has been presented in leading academic conferences, such as International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), the Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE) and Workshop on e-Business (WeB). His work has also presented in industral conferences and workshops, such as DEF CON, Hacks in Taiwan Conference (HITCON) and Information Security Summit.
Prior to joining SMU, he is a Visiting Scholar in HKUST. He also served as a team coach of the Firebird CTF team in the Cybersecurity Lab in HKUST, where the team has won in several local competitions like PwC HackaDay and been invited to participate in several worldwide competitions like HITB GSEC CTF.
- Economics of Information Systems
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Machine Learning and AI Application
Publications and Presentations
- Influence of Transaction Cost on Smart Contract: An Economic Analysis on Token-Curated Registry, by KE, Ping Fan. (2018). Pre-ICIS SIGBPS 2018 Workshop on Blockchain and Smart Contract, December 13 2018, San Francisco, CA.
- An Empirical Study of the Effect of Government-initiated Filter Schemes on Cybersecurity, by HUI, Kai-Lung; KE, Ping Fan; YUE, Wei Thoo. (2017). Workshop on e-Business (WeB), December 10 2017, Seoul, South Korea.
- Cybersecurity Regulations and Cyberattacks: A case Study in China, by KE, Ping Fan; HUI, Kai-Lung; YUE, Wei Thoo. (2015). Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), December 12-13 2015, Dallas, TX.
- Regulating Information Asymmetry in Information Security Outsourcing Market, by HUI, Kai-Lung; KE, Ping Fan; YUE, Wei Thoo. (2014). Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), December 17-19, 2014, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Information Security as a Credence Good, by KE, Ping Fan; HUI, Kai-Lung; YUE, Wei Thoo. (2013). The 2013 Workshop on Usable Security (USEC’ 13), April 1 2013, Okinawa, Japan.
- CVE-2018-8311: Remote Code Execution Vulnerability in Skype For Business and Lync
- XML and JS Hacking, by KE, Zetta. (2017). OWASP Hong Kong Chapter, March 11, 2017, Hong Kong.
- How to Leverage Hackers for Your Business, by KE, Zetta. (2016). HKUST, May 28, 2016, Hong Kong.
- Search for Vulnerable IoT Devices, by KE, Zetta. (2015). 3rd International Conference on CyberCrime and Computer Forensics (ICCCF), June 23, 2015, Macau.
- Capture The Flag (CTF) Game: Fun and Profit, by LAI, Anthony; KE, Zetta. (2014). Information Security Summit 2014, October 15, 2014, Hong Kong.
- Investigation and Intelligence Framework, by WONG, Kelvin; HO, Alan; LAI, Anthony; KE, Zetta. (2014) HITCON 2014 August 22, 2014, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Side Channel Attacks in Web Applications, by KE, Zetta. (2014). Hong Kong Polytechnic University, February 25, 2014, Hong Kong.
- Message Authentication and Length Extension Attack, by KE, Zetta. (2013). OWASP Hong Kong Chapter, July 27, 2013, Hong Kong.
- Information and Cyber Security Management, HKUST
- Developing AI Application, HKUST
- Blockchain Entrepreneurship for Social Impact, HKUST
Postgraduate Professional Programmes
- Computer and Internet Security Management, HKUST
- Chip-off Forensics, VX Village, DEF CON, Las Vegas, NV
- Advanced Web Application Pentest Kungfu, Information Security Showcase, Hong Kong